Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I love my mailman...

yes...you read that correctly.  Among the junk mail, advertisements, invitations (is it sad that my 5-yr old has a busier social life than I do?) and bills, I look forward to my monthly delivery of this...
                                                             (all images via marthastewart.com)


For those who know me, I am a 'Martha in-training'.  I think she's a genius.  I mean, come on?  Who else becomes a millionaire from being a crafty housewife?  Genius, right?
 
Another thing about me...I'm an Eastern Shore gal.  Eastern Shore of Maryland, that is....where life is easy, breezy...and slower (it wouldn't be called the Slower Lower for nothin'!).  Steamed crabs, freshly picked Corn on the Cob, cold beer, Orange Crushes (thank you, Harborside!) and amazing Bloody Mary's.

Anyway...back to the subject...this month's MS Living.  I love reading her recipes...especially during the summertime.  Just look at that dish on the front cover!  I wanted to walk to the grocery store from my mailbox! (ok, not really...only because the closest grocery store is 7 miles away).  BUT...I will be going tomorrow...to purchase tomatoes!  (Actually, one of the farmers down the street will be my go-to guy tomorrow...he had some veggies that looked delish).

I'm rambling...but there is a method to my madness here.  Common theme between my Eastern Shore gal comment and this month's MS Living...Bloody Mary's.  

I will post pics and reviews after we have actually tested them, but here ya go!


Slushy Mary

Ingredients

  • 12 oz vine-ripe tomatoes, plus more for garnish
  • 1 cup chilled vodka
  • 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp freshly grated horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
  • 1/2 tsp celery seeds
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups canned tomato juice

Directions

  1. Freeze tomatoes for at least 4 hours.
  2. Puree tomatoes, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, hot sauce, celery seeds, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper until smooth.  Stir in tomato juice and vodka.  Divide among 4 chilled glasses.  Garnish with celery stalks, okra or lemon wedges.


Sunny Mary

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds ripe yellow tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cup chilled vodka
  • 4 jarred peperoncini, plus 1/4 cup reserved pickling liquid
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • ice cubes

Directions

  1. Puree tomatoes in a food processor until smooth.  Strain in a cheesecloth-lined fine sieve set over a bowl, then press on solids to extract juice.  (You'll need at least 2 cups).  Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
  2. Stir together tomato juice, vodka, pickling liquid, and lemon juice.  Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses, and garnish each with a peperoncino.


    Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment